Published on: March 19, 2022
PAR-TAPI-NARMADA RIVER LINKING PROJECT
Tribals of Gujarat are protesting against Par-Tapi-Narmada River linking project
anyone buy Clomiphene online and got pregnant THE PROJECT
- Was envisioned in 1980
- Intends to carry water from the Western Ghats’ water surplus regions to Saurashtra and Kutch’s water deficit regions
- Seven reservoirs are proposed in north Maharashtra and south Gujarat as part of the link project
- Water from the 7 proposed reservoirs will be taken through a 395-kilometer-long canal to take over a part of the command of the ongoing Sardar Sarovar Project (on the Narmada), while also irrigating small enroute areas.
- Jheri, Mohankavchali,Chasmandva, Paikhed,Chikkar, Dabdar, and Kelwan are the seven dams proposed
- This will preserve SardarSarovar water, which would then be used to extend irrigation in Saurashtra and Kutch
- The link primarily envisages the construction of 7 dams, 3 diversion weirs, 2tunnels, a 395-kilometer-long canal, 6powerhouses, and a number of cross-drainage works.
- The link will generate hydropower of the order of 93.00 Mkwh through powerhouses installed at four dam locations, in addition to providing irrigation benefits to the enroute command and Narmada command.
- The reservoirs will also provide flood relief to those who live downstream.