Published on: September 2, 2023
Pavagada solar park
Why in news? Pavagada solar park to be expanded with additional 3k MW project
- The existing park is producing 2,000 MW of renewable energy.
- Karnataka State energy department has given consent for expansion of the solar park in Pavagad taluk of Tumakuru district and setting up of additional project of 3,000 MW capacity.
- Karnataka Solar Power Development Corporation Ltd (KSPDCL) has come forward to set up 2,500 MW capacity project under Ryapte Gram Panchayat limits and 500 MW capacity project under Inturayanahalli GP limits
About Pavagada solar park
- It is a solar park in Pavagada taluk, Tumkur district, Karnataka.
- World’s third largest photovoltaic solar park after the Bhadla Solar Park in Rajasthan and Huanghe Hydropower Hainan Solar Park in China.
- Karnataka Solar Power Development Corporation Ltd, a joint venture between Karnataka Renewable Energy Development Ltd (KREDL) and the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) have established the plant
Why Pavagada is selected for solar park?
- High solar radiation and availability of land, the region receives very little rainfall.
- Pavagada taluk is located in a semi-arid tract, atop an elevated plateau surrounded by rocky hills.
- The region has been declared drought hit by the Karnataka Government 54 times in the past 6 decades and also scarcely populated and most of its residents are poor farmers