Published on: February 20, 2023
Periyar Tiger Reserve
Why in news? Authorities have confirmed the presence of Kashmir flycatcher for the first time inside the Periyar Tiger Reserve as per the fourth bird survey
- The survey was conducted jointly by birdwatchers and the Forest Department.
- For the first time, the Kashmir flycatcher(insectivorous species that breeds in the northwest Himalayas a migratory bird), was spotted in the survey at the PTR
- According to survey, Periyar national park supports 20 out of the 26 endemic bird species of the Western Ghats and 14 threatened species
About Periyar National Park
- It is a protected area located in the districts of Idukki and Pathanamthitta in Kerala.
- Notable as an elephant reserve and a tiger reserve
- Park forms the major watershed of two important rivers of Kerala: the Periyar and the Pamba.
- It is located high in the Cardamom Hills and Pandalam Hills of the south Western Ghats along the border with Tamil Nadu
- Vegetation is mostly with tropical evergreen, semi -evergreen and moist deciduous forests, montane grasslands, montane savannas, man – made stands of eucalyptus, wetlands, lake and river ecosystems.