Published on: January 3, 2023
Pope Benedict XVI
Why in news? Pope Benedict XVI passed away.
About Pope Benedict XVI
- He was the head of the Catholic Church and sovereign of the Vatican City State 19 April 2005 until his resignation on 28 February 2013
- Predecessor: John Paul II
- Successor: Francis
- Born Name: Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger
- Embarked on an academic career and established himself as a highly regarded theologian by the late 1950s
- Appointed Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, one of the most important dicasteries of the Roman Curia
- Previous post: Dean of the College of Cardinals
- Religious Views: originally a liberal theologian, but adopted conservative views
- Revival : several traditions, including elevating the Tridentine Mass.
- Reintroduced traditional papal vestments, for which reason he was called “the pope of aesthetics”.
- He was described as “the main intellectual force in the Church” since the mid-1980s.
- Resignation :First by a pope to voluntary resign since Gregory XII in 1415, and the first on a pope’s initiative since Celestine V in 1294.
- Motto : ‘Cooperators of the truth’
- School: Platonism and Augustinism
- Main interests: Christian theology ecclesiology
- Notable ideas: Rejection of dehellenization and Hermeneutic of continuity