Published on: April 19, 2022
PRIME MINISTER’S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
Civil Aviation Ministry’s “UDAN” scheme selected for Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration
ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Instituted a scheme in 2006
- Acknowledge, recognize and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by Districts/ Organizations of the Central and State Governments.
- Revamped with a new approach in 2021 with the objective to encourage Constructive Competition, Innovation, Replication and Institutionalisation of Best Practices
- Under this approach emphasis would be on good governance, qualitative achievement and last mile connectivity, rather than only on achievement of quantitative targets.
- Full form – Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik (UDAN)
- Launched as a Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) under the Ministry of Civil Aviation in October 21 2016.
- To develop the regional aviation market.
- To provide affordable, economically viable and profitable air travel on regional routes to the common man even in small towns.
- Envisages providing connectivity to un-served and underserved airports of the country through the revival of existing air-strips and airports
- Operational for a period of 10 years
- Under-served airports are those which do not have more than one flight a day, while unserved airports are those where there are no operations.
- Financial incentives from the Centre, state governments and airport operators are extended to selected airlines to encourage operations from unserved and under-served airports, and keep airfares affordable.