Published on: April 19, 2022
PRIME MINISTER’S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
Civil Aviation Ministry’s “UDAN” scheme selected for Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration
Saratoga Springs ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Instituted a scheme in 2006
- Acknowledge, recognize and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by Districts/ Organizations of the Central and State Governments.
- Revamped with a new approach in 2021 with the objective to encourage Constructive Competition, Innovation, Replication and Institutionalisation of Best Practices
- Under this approach emphasis would be on good governance, qualitative achievement and last mile connectivity, rather than only on achievement of quantitative targets.
- Full form – Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik (UDAN)
- Launched as a Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) under the Ministry of Civil Aviation in October 21 2016.
- To develop the regional aviation market.
- To provide affordable, economically viable and profitable air travel on regional routes to the common man even in small towns.
- Envisages providing connectivity to un-served and underserved airports of the country through the revival of existing air-strips and airports
- Operational for a period of 10 years
- Under-served airports are those which do not have more than one flight a day, while unserved airports are those where there are no operations.
- Financial incentives from the Centre, state governments and airport operators are extended to selected airlines to encourage operations from unserved and under-served airports, and keep airfares affordable.