Published on: January 11, 2023
Why in news? India carries out successful test launch of Prithvi-II from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha
- Prithvi-II missile has been an integral part of India’s nuclear deterrence and can strike its target with high accuracy
- Development and deployment of this series has been a significant achievement for India’s indigenous Defence industry, as well as the DRDO
- The missile’s accuracy is considered to be high and it is equipped with advanced navigation and guidance systems.
- In 1983, the Indian government initiated the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program to become self-sufficient in the production and development of a variety of missiles, including ballistic and surface-to-air missiles.
- Prithvi was the first missile developed under this programme.
About Prithvi II
- Type: Short-range ballistic missile
- Designer: DRDO
- Warhead: High explosives, penetration, cluster munitions, fragmentation, thermo baric, chemical weapon and tactical nuclear weapon
- Engine: Single-stage liquid rocket
- Propellant: Liquid fuel
- Operational range: 250–350 km
- Missile features measures to deceive anti-ballistic missiles.