Published on: November 1, 2021
The first ship of the four Project-15B state-of-the-art stealth guided missile destroyers, Visakhapatnam, being built at the Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL), was delivered to the Navy
- Project to develop world class warships for Indian Navy
- The first ship of the project, guided-missile destroyer ‘Visakhapatnam’ was launched on April 20, 2015.
- Project 15B MISSILE DESTROYERS
- Modern warships equipped with latest weapons package in continuation of lineage of the highly successful Delhi and Kolkata Class ships.
- Largely maintained the hull form, propulsion machinery, many platform equipment and major weapons and sensors as the Kolkata class to benefit from series production.
- Feature enhanced stealth features over the earlier class through shaping of hull and use of radar transparent deck fittings which make them difficult to detect and also feature significant advances in automation and networking.
- Propelled by four gas turbines in Combined Gas and Gas (COGAG) configuration and have maximum endurance of 4000 nm at economical speed of 14 knots, the Navy had said earlier.