Published on: May 6, 2023
Why in news? The Prime Minister has praised the initiative by Border Roads Organisation Project Dantak to commemorate 64th Raising Day.
About project Dantak:
- It was established on April 24, 1961 as a result of the visionary leadership of His Majesty the Third King and then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- Identifying the utmost importance of connectivity in spurring the socio-economic development and growth of Bhutan, DANTAK was tasked to construct the pioneering motorable roads in the Kingdom.
- DANTAK completed the road connecting Samdrup Jongkhar to Trashigang in 1968. In the same year, Thimphu was connected to Phuentsholing by DANTAK. Many Bhutanese had also volunteered to work with DANTAK.
- The medical and education facilities established by DANTAK in far flung areas were often the first in those locations.
- The food outlets along the road introduced the Bhutanese to Indian delicacies and developed a sweet tooth in them.
About Border Roads Organisation(BRO)
- BRO was conceived and raised in 1960 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru for coordinating the speedy development of a network of roads in the North and the North Eastern border regions of the country.
- It works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
- It has diversified into a large spectrum of construction and development works comprising airfields, building projects, defence works and tunneling and has endeared itself to the people.
64th BRO Day celebrations
- To commemorate the sacrifices and contribution of its Karmyogis in nation building, Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is organising “Ekta Evam Shradhanjali Abhiyan”, a multi modal expedition as a part of 64th BRO Day Celebrations.