Published on: December 6, 2021
Buoyed by the success of its innovative Project RE-HAB (Reducing Elephant-Human Attacks using Bees) in Karnataka, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has now replicated the project in Assam.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- “Bee-fences” are created by setting up bee boxes in the passage ways of elephants to block their entrance to human territories.
- Boxes are connected with a string so that when elephants attempt to pass through, a tug or pull causes the bees to swarm the elephant herds and dissuade them from progressing further
- Cost-effective way of reducing human-wild conflicts without causing any harm to the animals
- Scientifically recorded that elephants are annoyed by the honey bees.
- Elephants also fear that the bee swarms can bite their sensitive inner side of the trunk and eyes. The collective buzz of the bees is annoying to elephants that force them to return.