RAJASTHAN’S MARRIAGE REGISTRATION BILL
http://beccajcampbell.com/tag/pet-peeves/ What is in news : Rajasthan’s marriage registration Bill passed last month by the Rajasthan Assembly, which amended a 2009 law on mandatory registration of marriages, including child marriages, has been embroiled in controversy.
- The Rajasthan Compulsory Registration of Marriages (Amendment) Bill, 2021
- Amends Section 8 of the Rajasthan Compulsory Registration of Marriages Act, 2009,
- Deals with “Duty to submit Memorandum”.
- Defines Memorandum as the “Memorandum for registration of marriage.”
Why the amendment :
- Would bring the age in line with central legislation which recognises the age of 18 as majority for a girl and 21 for a boy
- Registration of child marriages would help in their faster annulment and help the government reach out to more victims
- Compulsory registration of child marriage would legitimise it
- Marriage certificate might in fact, become a hurdle in getting an annulment later as courts could cite lack of a marriage certificate as a reason to not grant an annulment
- Child marriages are conducted mostly away from the public glare and could be hard to prove.
- Only restricts its scope to women till the age of 18.