Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar
Why in news? Centre floats new science awards to recognise scientists on the lines of civilian awards
- Award was constituted with the government’s effort to “rationalise” awards in science and technology.
- The awards will commence in 2024.
- Vigyan Ratna, Vigyan Shri, Vigyan Yuva–Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar, and Vigyan Team are the four categories of science awards
What are the features of the award?
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar is the highest honour for young scientists
- Vigyan Ratna will recognise the lifetime achievement of scientists, Vigyan Shri will recognise distinguished contributions to a field
- Vigyan Yuva Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar will encourage young scientists who have made exceptional contributions in their field, and Vigyan Team will recognise teams of three or more.
- There will only be three Vigyan Ratnas awarded yearly: 25 Vigyan Shri, 25 Vigyan Yuva, and 3 Vigyan Team.
- Only Vigyan Yuva will have an age limit of 45 years.
What are recognised domains under the awards?
- The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar will be awarded in 13 domains – Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, Earth Science, Medicine, Engineering Sciences, Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Technology and Innovation, Atomic Energy, Space Science and Technology.
What are the process for the awards ?
- The awards processes will be carried out by CSIR for the first two years and will be taken over by the newly instituted National Research Foundation.
- Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee will be constituted of all secretaries of all six science departments, four presidents selected from science and engineering academies, and six distinguished scientists and technologists from different fields of science.
- This committee will be constituted annually, with the committee members ineligible for the award during their tenure.
- A committee under the chairmanship of the principal scientific adviser will select the awardees.
- Nominations for the awards will be accepted every year between January 14 and February 28, which is recognised as National Science Day.
- The awards will be announced on National Technology Day, May 11.
- Award ceremony will be held every year on the recently announced National Space Day, August 23, to mark the day India’s Chandrayaan-3 landed on the Moon.