Published on: December 1, 2021
RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP
where to buy Ivermectin More than six lakh Indians renounced citizenship in the past five years, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) informed the Lok Sabha
- The District Magistrate will interview the applicant for issuing the certificate. The applicant needs to submit proof of address and proof of payment of fee other than the passport.
- After the submission of the copy of the form and verification of documents, the issuance of the renunciation certificate will take 60 days.
- As per the guidelines on the renunciation of Indian citizenship, when a person ceases to be a citizen of India under Section 8(1) of Citizenship Act, 1955, “every minor child of that person shall thereupon cease to be a citizen of India”. The child after attaining the legal age limit can apply for resuming his or her Indian citizenship.
- As per the 2009 Citizenship Rules, an applicant in India needs to pay a fee of Rs 5,000, and an applicant through an Indian Mission in a foreign country needs to pay a fee of Rs 7,000 to renounce his or her Indian citizenship.
- In 2018, for the first time, the revised Form XXII under the Citizenship Rules for Declaration of Renunciation of Citizenship under Section 8 of the Act Made by a Citizen of India included a column on “circumstances or reasons due to which applicant intends to acquire foreign citizenship and renounce Indian citizenship”.