Published on: January 18, 2022
REPUBLIC DAU TABLEAUX
REPUBLIC DAU TABLEAUX
The Valley NEWS
http://itstimetogetorganized.com/2014/08/ Union defence ministry has rejected Tableaux proposals of Kerala and West Bengal
How does the process to decide the tableaux start?
- Is responsible for the Republic Day parade
- Invites around September all the states, the Union Territories, Central Government departments, and a few constitutional authorities to participate in the parade through tableaux.
What can the participating states or central government departments depict through their tableaux?
- The participants have to showcase elements within the overarching theme. The theme given to participants this year was around 75 years of India’s Independence.
- Theme this year – India@75 – Freedom struggle, Ideas @ 75, Achievements @ 75, Actions @ 75 and Resolve @ 75.
- Participating entities must engage “young qualified designers from renowned institutions”, electronic display walls for bright display of images or content, moving elements using robotics or mechatronics, 3D printing could be used for certain elements, use of augmented or virtual reality, and special effects to improve the optics and visual effects of the tableau.
- The tableaux of two different states/ UTs cannot be too similar, as the tableaux, together, should showcase the diversity of the country.
- The tableaux cannot have any writing or use of logos, except for the name of the state/ UT/ department, which should be written in Hindi on the front, English on the back, and a regional language on the sides.
- The Defence Ministry also asked the participants to use eco-friendly material for the tableaux, and avoid the use of plastic or plastic-based products.
WHAT ARE SIZE RESTRICTIONS
- Defence Ministry
- Provides each participant with one tractor and one trailer, and the tableau should fit on that
- Prohibits use of any additional tractor or trailer, or even any other vehicle to be part of it.
- Stipulates a distance of around six feet between the tractor and the trailer for turning and manoeuvering.
- Participant can replace their ministry-provided tractor or trailer with other vehicles, but the total number should not be more than two vehicles.
- Tractor has to be camouflaged in harmony with the tableau’s theme
- Participants can add ground elements on some tableaux, considering the theme.
- Dimensions of the trailer on which the tableau will be placed is 24 feet, 8 inches long; eight feet wide; four feet two inches high; with a load bearing capacity of 10 tonnes. The tableaux should not be more than 45 feet long, 14 feet wide and 16 feet high from the ground.
- Elaborate and time-consuming
- The Defence Ministry constitutes an expert committee of distinguished persons from fields like art, culture, painting, sculpture, music, architecture, choreography, etc, who help in shortlisting the tableaux from the proposals.
- Submitted sketches or designs of the proposals are scrutinised by this committee, which can make suggestions for any modifications in the sketch or design
- Sketch should be simple, colouful, easy to comprehend and should avoid unnecessary detail. It should be self-explanatory, and should not need any written elaboration.
- If there is a traditional dance involved with the tableau, it should be a folk dance, and the costumes and musical instruments should be traditional and authentic. The proposal should include a video clipping of the dance.
- Once approved, the next stage is for the participants to come up with three dimensional models for their proposals, which are again examined by the expert committee for final selection, taking in view several criteria.
- In making the final selection the committee looks at a combination of factors, looking at the visual appeal, impact on the masses, idea/ theme of the tableaux, degree of detail involved, accompanying music, among other factors.
- The Defence Ministry recommends the participants to try and not engage any firm or fabricator that are involved in creation of two tableaux, including their own.