S K JOSHI
What is in news : QCI launched the Prof. S.K. Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award.This is country’s first-of-its- kind Laboratory Excellence Award. This Award has been instituted to promote Laboratory Quality and performance improvement in the country.
About SK JOSHI
- Born on 06 June 1935.
- Studied at the Allahabad University and did his Ph.D. in Physics from there in 1962.
- Broad field of research interest was Condensed Matter Theory.
- Had earlier worked on Collision Processes in Atomic and Molecular Systems also. Dr. Joshi was Professor of Physics at the University of Roorkee (Now IIT, Roorkee) from 1967 till 1986.
- Was the Director of National Physical Laboratory from 1986-1991. He held the position of the Director General CSIR from 1991 till 1995.
- Was elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy in 1974
- Was the President of the INSA from 1993 till 1995.
- Was a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences since 1974 and was Vice President from 1989-91.
- Was a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences and was its President for 2001-2002.
- Was the President of Indian Physics Association during 1989-90, President of the Materials Research Society of India during 1995-97, and the President of the Indian Science Congress Association for the year 1996-97
- Was a Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences, and a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Won Watumull Memorial Prize for 1965, Shanti Swarup Prize for Physical Sciences for 1972, CSIR Silver Jubilee Award 1973 and Meghnad Saha Award for Research in Theoretical Sciences in 1974.
- Has received FICCI Award in Physical Sciences for 1990 and Goyal Prize in Physics from Goyal Foundation in 1993.