Why in news? The Union Health Secretary launched the SAKSHAM (Stimulating Advanced Knowledge for Sustainable Health Management), a Learning Management Information System (LMIS) of MoHFW.
• This digital learning platform has been developed by the National Institute of Health & Family Welfare (NIHFW), New Delhi.
• It is a dedicated and unified platform for providing online training and medical education to all health professionals in the country.
• This digital learning platform will ensure inclusive capacity building of health professionals from primary health centres located in rural and remote areas all the way up to tertiary care and corporate hospitals in metropolitan cities.
• Currently SAKSHAM: LMIS is hosting more than 200 public health and 100 clinical courses through online mode.
• Health professionals can register themselves for these courses on the portal and get the certification after undergoing requisite training and qualifying the required assessment criteria.
The National Institute of Health & Family Welfare
• NIHFW was established on 9th March 1977, under the autonomous Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
• NIHFW’s primary mandate is to act as a think tank for the promotion of health and family welfare programs in the country.
• It is also the premier organization for capacity building through training of health professionals, frontline health workers such as Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) and Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANMs) and other central and state officers & healthcare staff.
Don’t get confused: There are 2 Project Saksham:
• First, The Ministry of Finance has started Project Saksham to establish an information exchange system with GSTN. It would help CBEC’s IT Infrastructure Project, which aims to improve GST and other taxes like Customs implementation by sharing information on the GST Network (GSTN).
• Second, Indian Railways has initiated Project Saksham, India’s greatest time-bound comprehensive strategy for delivering training to all of its personnel, in order to improve employee efficiency.