Published on: November 1, 2021
Chess, Costumes and a Crown from Satyajit Ray’s ‘Shatranj Ke Khilari’ is on display at the India International Centre, New Delhi
- Indian filmmaker, screenwriter, music composer, graphic artist, lyricist and author, widely regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.
- Directed 36 films, including feature films, documentaries and shorts.
- First film, Pather Panchali (1955), along with Aparajito (1956) and Apur Sansar (1959), form The Apu Trilogy.
- Authored several short stories and novels, meant primarily for young children and teenagers.
- Characters created – Feluda, the sleuth, and Professor Shonku, the scientist in his science fiction stories
- Received 32 Indian National Film Awards and an Academy Honorary Award in 1992.
- The Government of India honored him with the Bharat Ratna, its highest civilian award, in 1992.