Published on: September 25, 2021
What is in news : SAUBHAGYA completes FOUR years of successful implementation
- Full form – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana – ‘Saubhagya’
- Launched in September, 2017
- Aim – universal household electrification in all parts of the country.
- Objective – free electricity connections to all households (both APL and poor families) in rural areas and poor families in urban areas
- Nodal agency – Rural Electrification Corporation (REC)
- All DISCOMs including Private Sector DISCOMs, State Power Departments and RE Cooperative Societies shall be eligible for financial assistance under the scheme in line with Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY).
- Eligibility: The prospective beneficiary households for free electricity connections under the scheme would be identified using SECC 2011 data. However, un-electrified households not covered under SECC data would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs. 500 which shall be recovered by DISCOMs in 10 instalments through electricity bill.