Published on: November 16, 2022
Why in news?
The third edition of the ‘pan-India’ coastal defence Exercise ‘Sea Vigil-22’ is being conducted
- The exercise was conceptualised in 2018 to validate various measures that have been instituted towards enhancing maritime security since ‘26/11’
- This is to activate the coastal security apparatus across India and assess the overarching coastal defence mechanism.
- The exercise will be undertaken along the entire 7,516 km coastline and exclusive economic zone of India and will involve all the coastal states and Union territories along with other maritime stakeholders, including the fishing and coastal communities.
- Organization : Indian navy in coordination with the Coast Guard and other ministries entrusted with the task of maritime activities.
- It is facilitated by the ministries of home affairs, ports shipping and waterways, petroleum and natural gas, fisheries, animal husbandry and dairying, Customs, and other agencies of Centre/ state.
- It is a build-up towards the major Theatre Level Readiness Operational Exercise