Published on: March 2, 2023
Sickle cell anaemia
Why in news? A start-up incubated by the Society for Innovation and Development at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), has developed SickleCert, India’s first indigenous diagnostic kit for sickle cell anemia.
- The Union government has announced an ambitious National Sickle Cell Elimination Mission to eradicate the disease from the country by 2047 in the recent Budget.
About Sickle cell anaemia
- It is a group of blood disorders typically inherited
- It results in an abnormality in the oxygen-carrying protein haemoglobin found in red blood cells that leads to a rigid, sickle-like shape under certain circumstances
- Problems in sickle cell disease typically begin around 5 to 6 months of age.
- Sickle cell disease occurs when a person inherits two abnormal copies of the β-globin gene (HBB) that makes haemoglobin, one from each parent.
- Care of patient with sickle cell disease may include infection prevention with vaccination and antibiotics, high fluid intake, folic acid supplementation, and pain medication
- Diagnosis is also possible during pregnancy