Published on: March 11, 2022
Union Ministry of Power has launched the Virtual Smart Grid Knowledge Center (Virtual SGKC) and Innovation Park
VIRTUAL SMART GRID KNOWLEDGE CENTER
- Located within the powergrid centre in Manesar (Haryana), Virtual Smart Grid Knowledge Center (Virtual SGKC) is the first of its kind initiative by the Union government.
- The initiative, as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav Programme, will be one of the leading Centers of Excellence globally to foster innovation, entrepreneurship and research in smart grid technologies.
- Established by POWERGRID with support from the Union ministry of power and technical assistance from US Agency for International Development’s (USAID) for demonstration and advancement of frontier smart grid technologies.
- One of the leading Centers of Excellence globally to foster innovation, entrepreneurship and research in smart grid technologies and create capacities in the power distribution sector.
- Enable a digital footprint of the physical setup of SGKC, the need for which was felt during Covid-19 pandemic.
- Electrical Grid with Automation, Communication and IT systems
- Monitor power flows from points of generation to points of consumption (even down to appliances level)
- Control the power flow or curtail the load to match generation in real time or near real time
- Can be achieved by implementing efficient transmission & distribution systems, system operations, consumer integration and renewable integration.
- Helps to monitor, measure and control power flows in real time that can contribute to identification of losses and thereby appropriate technical and managerial actions can be taken to arrest the losses.