SNIPPETS – 05 July 2022
To mark National Doctors’ Day that is observed on July 1, the State Health and Family Welfare Department has launched a “Selfie with a doctor” Every year, National Doctor’s Day is observed on July 1 in the memory of Dr Bidhan Roy, the former Chief Minister of Bengal, who was known for his selfless service to humanity.
- The SJCE-STEP Startup Technology Business Incubator at Mysuru launched a training programme to give a boost to Startups and innovators. • The programme is supported by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, along with other ecosystem partners and about 15 startups, 6 innovators, 45 student fellows, 20 mentors and 10 investors will be part of the nearly four-month long programme
- The third version of GST Prime, an analytical system from National Informatics Centre (NIC) that will help increase tax compliance, was launched in Bengaluru by Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai. • GST-Prime is a product by National Informatics Centre (NIC) to help the tax administrators of state/centre to analyse and monitor the tax collection and compliance in their jurisdiction.
- Karnataka, which ranked low at 14th in India in the number of Ayushman Bharat Health Accounts (ABHAs), has set up an ambitious target of creating the unique health identity cards for the entire population in the next six months
- The Karnataka State government has issued a circular ordering all higher educational institutions and institutions under the Department of Collegiate & Technical Education (DCTE) to ensure the success of the Union government’s Har Ghar Tiranga campaign.
- The New Mangalore Port Authority achieved yet another milestone when it received the first mainline container vessel, MSC Erminia at the Port on July 3. With a length of 276.5 mts and draft of 12.8 mts, the vessel was berthed at Berth No. 14 West, said a communiqué from the Port Authority. It carried 1,771 TEUs of 1,265 units of import containers.
- Sini Shetty from Karnataka was announced the winner of Femina Miss India World 2022 title at the grand finale of VLCC Femina Miss India.At the ceremony, hosted at the Jio World Convention Centre, Rajasthan’s Rubal Shekhawat emerged as Femina Miss India 2022 first runner-up and Shinata Chauhan from Uttar Pradesh was named Femina Miss India 2022 second runner-up.
- Researchers led by those from the National Centre of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bengaluru (NCBS-TIFR), have found a new pathway that regulates nitrate absorption in plants.
- Modi to launch year-long celebrations to remember contributions of Alluri Sitarama Raju
- The 500-year-old painting of Our Lady of Ransom that adorns the main altar of the Vallarpadam Basilica has been reinstalled after restoration.
- Single-use plastic (SUP) products are banned in the whole country from July 1st. As the name suggests, it refers to plastic items that are used once and discarded. Single-use plastic has among the highest shares of plastic manufactured and used — from packaging of items, to bottles (shampoo, detergents, cosmetics), polythene bags, face masks, coffee cups, cling film, trash bags, food packaging etc
- In Odisha, scientists are now fine-tuning their research to make a presentation for the geographical indications (GI) registry of Kai Chutney. Applied under food category, the GI tag would help develop a structured hygiene protocol in the preparation of Kai Chutney for standard wider use. GI labels enhance the reputation and value of local products and support local businesses.
- The Union Home Ministry has amended certain rules related to the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA), allowing Indians to receive up to ₹10 lakh in a year from relatives staying abroad without informing the authorities. The earlier limit was ₹1 lakh.
Malaysia has narrowed down on the Indian aircraft notwithstanding stiff competition from China’s JF-17 jet, South Korea’s FA-50 and Russia’s Mig-35 and the Yak-130 plane