SNIPPETS – 09 June 2022
A five-year-long http://asideofbooks.com/category/video/ research initiative on tribal health was launched in Chamarajanagar district. Its aim is to conduct research, innovation and training on genetic diseases and hemoglobinopathies among the tribal communities
- Nakhabino The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, is the fastest rising South Asian University among the coveted QS World University Rankings top 200 varsities, having gained 31 places while four IITs have also figured in the category attaining a higher rank compared to the previous edition
- India is set to deploy drones to gather atmospheric data that is currently collated by sending sensors through weather balloons released from at least 55 locations across the country twice every day.
- Tamil Nadu Start-up and Innovation Mission, popularly known as TANSIM among entrepreneurs, has launched an initiative called ‘S2G Buy Day’ to link start-ups and the government.
- The State-level ‘Suchitwa Sagaram, Sundara Teeram’, an ambitious project aimed at making the sea and coast plastic-free was inaugurated in Kerala.
- The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) voted unanimously to increase the repo rate by 50 basis points to 4.90% in a bid to slow inflation that it estimates will average 7.5% in the current April-June quarter.
- India has objected to a report, called the Environmental Performance Index (EPI), 2022, that places India last in a list of 180 countries on managing climate change, environmental health, and ecosystem vitality.
- Tamil Nadu has topped the Fourth State Food Safety Index 2021-22 of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), replacing Gujarat, which slipped to the second spot among 17 large states, followed by Maharashtra on the third place.
- The use of coal as a fuel in industrial and domestic units will be banned in the National Capital Region from January 2023 but the ban will not apply to thermal power plants
- India and Vietnam signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on mutual logistics support in presence of the two Defence Ministers during the ongoing visit of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to the Southeast Asian nation.
- The Union Cabinet signed a MoU between India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on cooperation in the field of industries and advanced technologies
- Tokyo Paralympics champion Avani Lekhara won gold at the Para Shooting World Cup with a world record score of 250.6 in women’s 10m air rifle standing SH1 in Chateauroux, France
Mithali Raj, the world’s leading batter in women’s cricket, with a slew of records, announced her retirement