Snippets: 13 August 2022
In a major setback to the State government, the High Court of Karnataka set aside the constitution of a http://kyleschen.com/2014/03/04/44-aphorisms-maxims-and-heuristics-from-nassim-taleb/ separate Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), under the direct control of the Chief Minister, in 2016 by withdrawing the powers vested with the can i buy Pregabalin in spain Karnataka Lokayukta (KL) police wing to probe all cases under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 against public servants
- Volvo Group has set up an RO plant at Robertsonpet, KGF in Kolar district, to offer safe and clean drinking water to people in this area as bore well water contains high levels of fluoride and TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).The plant would dispense 6,000 litres of drinking water a day to cater to the requirement of over 3,000 people in the locality.
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous People was observed in Mysuru on August 9th. South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur, Ministry of Culture, Government of India in association with the All India Folk and Tribal Art Parishat, New Delhi, has organised a three-day Adivasi Nruthya Mahotsav (tribal dance festival) in Mysuru to showcase the rich tribal art and culture practiced in the country.
- Muthuraman, former chairman of Tata International and Tata Steels, has been appointed as the first chairperson of the board of governors of the University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE). On the recommendation of the State government, the Governor of Karnataka has appointed Mr. Muthuraman as the chairperson for a period of four years.
- Former West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar was sworn in as the 14th Vice-President of India. he secured 528 votes against the Opposition’s joint candidate Margaret Alva who got only 182 votes.
- Justice Uday Umesh Lalit was appointed the 49th Chief Justice of India (CJI) after President Droupadi Murmu signed his warrant of appointment. Justice Lalit will be the second CJI who was directly elevated to the apex court Bench from the Bar.Justice S.M. Sikri was the first lawyer to be elevated directly to the top court Bench in March 1964 and went on to become the 13th CJI in January 1971.
- The Supreme Court refused to consider the question of derecognising political parties who promise freebies.
- What are Freebies?
- Political parties promise to offer free electricity/water supply, monthly allowance to unemployed, daily wage workers, and women as well as gadgets like laptops, smartphones, etc. in order to secure the vote of the people.The states have become habituated to giving freebies, be it in the form of loan waivers or free electricity, cycles, laptops, TV sets, and so on.
- The Union Cabinet approved an extension to the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban so that the houses sanctioned under the scheme can be completed. The scheme was launched in 2015 with the aim of constructing over 112 crore homes in urban areas by August 15, 2022. The Cabinet approved an extension till December 31, 2024 so that the houses already sanctioned are completed.
- The Madhavaram Mofussil Bus Terminus (MMBT) could well become the first terminus to earn the “Net Zero Carbon Emission” status in the Tamil nadu State.
- In a major breakthrough, two institutes of Agri research body ICAR have developed an indigenous vaccine for Lumpy Skin Disease in cattle which has spread across many States in the last few months. The LSD disease was reported for the first time in India in 2019 from Odisha. In the initial years, it was mainly restricted to the eastern part of our country. Later on, it rapidly spread to almost all the states in the country. The outbreaks recently (June-July-August 2022) being reported are extensive and lethal with a mortality of up to 15%, particularly those being reported in the Western part (Rajasthan) of the country. LSD is primarily a disease in cattle
In a first, an indigenous artillery gun, the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), will be used along with the usual 25-Pounders for the 21-gun salute during the Independence Day celebrations at Red Fort this year