Published on: October 16, 2021
SNIPPETS – 16 OCTOBER 2021
- Karnataka State Disaster ManagementAuthority (KSDMA) hasattributed the repeated tremors experienced in Vijayapura and Kalaburagidistricts between September 4 and October 11 to a phenomenon called hydro-seismicity. In hydro-seismicity, water from heavyrainfall enters small fractures in rocks and causes pressure within them. It isdescribed as one of the major reasons for earthquake swarms in peninsular India
- According to data from KSNDMC, between October 1 and 13, as many as 16 districts had rainfall in ‘large excess’, which means 60% and above rainfall.
- There is a 70% reduction in instances of stubble burning in Punjab and 18% in Haryana from last year, according to a report on Friday by the Commission for Air Quality Management. STUBBLE BURNING is a common practice followed by farmers to prepare fields for sowing of wheat in November as there is little time left between the harvesting of paddy and sowing of wheat.
- Union Ministry of Power has asked Kerala to provide support by increasing generation at storage-based hydroelectric stations, such as the 780 MW Idukki
- The government has notified new rules under which the gestational limit for termination of a pregnancy has been increased from 20 to 24 weeks for certain categories of women under newly amended Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Act, 2021
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has extended the jurisdiction of the Border Security Force (BSF) up to 50 km inside the international borders in Punjab, West Bengal and Assam.
- Dr R R Gangakhedkar, former head of epidemiology and communicable diseases at the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), has been selected for the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) expert group that will examine the origins of emerging and re-emerging pathogens of epidemic and pandemic potential, including SARS-CoV-2.
- Chennai Super kings clinch fourth IPL title
- Over one lakh pages of manuscripts at Moorusavir Mutt at Hubballi have been scanned and stored in digital format.
- Museum Rietberg, based in Zurich, Switzerland, has established a unique research centre and fellowship programme with a focus on Indian art.The GBF Centre is meant for scholars, curators, and artists who specialise in Indian painting.The GBF Centre has named Sonika Soni as its first research fellow.
- The Prime Minister has expressed deep grief over the demise of the Chairman of Dainik Jagran Group Yogendra Mohan Gupta Ji.
- ‘Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Prerana Sthal’ was inaugurated at Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL), Visakhapatnam on October 15, 2021 on the occasion of 90th birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, former President of India and to commemorate ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’. The NSTL is the premier naval research laboratory of Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Japan’s new prime minister Fumio Kishida on Friday unveiled a flagship council, which will be responsible for strategizing how to tackle wealth disparities and redistribute wealth to households