Published on: February 19, 2022
SNIPPETS – 19 FEBRUARY 2022
- Karnataka government on Friday gave its approval to the Rs 93.40-crore ropeway project at Nandi hills under a public-private-participation (PPP) model.
- A recent Study on the impact of Adani’s Udupi Power Corporation Limited (UPCL) has shown high levels of environmental pollution caused by violations with experts warning that the proposal to expand the plant by adding two 800 MW units will have adverse consequences. The state government entrusted the Environment Management and Policy Research Institute (EMPRI) to conduct an environmental impact study, as per the directions of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
- Karnataka tourism department to set up digital museum at Sanganakallu. It is a Archaeological site from the Neolithic period in Karnataka, First majorly excavated in 1946, by Bendapudi Subbarao
- Karnataka State Cabinet approved the Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency Policy with a aim to Conserve about 744 Million Units (MUs) of energy till 2026 through energy efficiency measures.
- Karnataka activist seeks deemed forest status for Western Ghat areas. The concept of deemed forests has not been clearly defined in any law including the Forest Conservation Act of 1980. However, the Supreme Court in the case of T N Godavarman Thirumalpad (1996) accepted a wide definition of forests under the Act. It covered all statutorily recognised forests, whether designated as reserved, protected or otherwise for the purpose of Section 2 (1) of the Forest Conservation Act.
- Government has approved the scheme of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for continuation till 31.03.2026 or till further review, whichever is earlier. It is a centrally Sponsored Scheme launched in October 2013 for funding the state government universities and colleges to achieve the aims of equity, access and excellence
- The Centre recently notified the green hydrogen and green ammonia policy aimed at boosting the domestic production of green hydrogen to 5 million tonnes by 2030 and making India an export hub for the clean fuel.
- The Union Environment Ministry notified extended producer responsibility (EPR) guidelines for plastic packaging waste. It mandates recycling and reusing a certain percentage of plastic produced by manufacturers, importers and brand owners
- PM recently inaugurated municipal solid waste based Gobar-Dhan/BIO-CNG plant in Indore. BIO-CNG is purified form of biogas with over 95% pure methane gas
- The Government of India, the State Governments of Karnataka and Odisha and the World Bank have signed a $115 million (INR 869 crore) Programme called Rejuvenating Watersheds for Agricultural Resilience through Innovative Development (REWARD) Programme that will help national and state institutions adopt improved watershed management practices to help increase farmers’ resilience to climate change, promote higher productivity and better incomes.
- Government of India approves ₹ 235 crore Legacy Waste Remediation Proposal of Andhra Pradesh. This is the largest one-time approval of funds for legacy dumpsite remediation