Published on: May 4, 2023
Snippets : 2-3 MAY 2023
- Issac Mathai, a city doctor and the Chairman of SOUKYA, International Holistic Centre, has been invited by Buckingham Palace, London, to the coronation of King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla on May 6.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will hand over a fast patrol vessel and a landing craft to the Maldives as India’s “gift” during his visit to the island nation from May 1 to 3. The Maldives is one of India’s key maritime neighbours in the Indian Ocean region and the overall bilateral ties, including in the areas of defence and security, have been on an upward trajectory in the last few years. “India’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region) along with its ‘Neighbourhood First’ policy as well as Maldives’ ‘India First’ policy seek to work together to jointly develop the capabilities within the Indian Ocean region,”
- A survey on the degree of innovation among manufacturing firms found that Karnataka, overall, is the most “innovative” State, followed by Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu (DNH&DD), Telangana, and Tamil Nadu. The findings are part of the National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22, a joint study by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO),
- In its manifesto for the Karnataka Assembly Elections 2023, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has promised it will implement Uniform Civil Code (UCC) if it returns to power in the state. The term Uniform Civil Code finds a mention in Article 44 of the Indian Constitution. It says: “The State shall endeavour to secure for the citizens a uniform civil code throughout the territory of India.”
- A five-judge or constitution bench of the Supreme Court held that a court can directly grant divorce under Article 142 of the Constitution, in cases where the marriage has irretrievably broken down, without referring the parties to a family court first, where they must wait for 6-18 months for a decree of divorce by mutual consent.
- India’s ranking in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index has slipped to 161 out of 180 countries, according to the latest report released by global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
- India leads five countries named as the “Laundromat” countries(India, China, Turkey, the UAE and Singapore) that buy Russian oil and sell processed products to European countries, thus side-stepping European sanctions against Russia.