Published on: November 6, 2021
SNIPPETS – 6 NOVEMBER 2021
- The Church Street pedestrianisation project has received the Union government’s recognition with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) giving a running trophy to the state government apart from other awards. The project in which the Directorate of Urban Land Transport, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Energy Systems Catapult, Urban Morph others collaborated, was successful in proving the benefits of pedestrian-first approach in selected urban streets. The “Clean Air Street – Church Street First” was been conferred with the “Commendation Award in Urban Transport” under the category “Running trophy for the state/UT, which has Implemented Best Urban Transport Projects during the previous year”. Additionally, IISc professor Ashish Verma and Research Scholar Hemanthini Allirani received the ‘Best Research Paper Award (1st Prize)’ for a paper titled ‘Impact Assessment of Pedestrianising an Urban Street in Terms of Quality of Life’
- The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday declared as unconstitutional the law providing 10.5% internal reservation to the Vanniakula Kshatriya community within the 20% reservation for the Most Backward Classes (MBCs) in education and public employment.
- Hundreds of farmers began a 45-day padayatra, ‘Nyayasthanam to Devasthanam’ (court to temple), demanding that Amaravati be retained as the capital of Andhra Pradesh.
- Recently, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced a revised Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework. PCA is issued by RBI to check the problem of Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) in the Indian banking sector. Introduced in December 2002
- The Prime Minister enhanced India’s existing climate targets and announced a new one during his speech in Glasgow COP 26
- Ashoka University hosted a virtual conference titled ‘The Dyslexic Mind: Thinking Differently about Higher Education’. It is Learning disorder that involves difficulty reading due to problems identifying speech sounds and learning how they relate to letters and words (decoding)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 12-foot statue of Adi Shankaracharya at Kedarnath, where the acharya is believed to have attained samadhi
- Recently, the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports announced the National Sports Awards 2021. Sunil Chhetri becomes the first footballer to receive the ‘Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award 2021