Published on: May 9, 2023
Snippets : 8 MAY 2023
- Elephant Balarama of Mysuru Dasara fame passed away due to age-related ailments. He was 67.Born in 1958, the tusker had carried the Golden Howdah for 14 years, the highest for any tusker.
- The comedy drama adventure Charlie 777 is officially selected at the 13th Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival 2023, and is also set for a release in Japan, Latin America, and Taiwan. The director is K Kiranrajj and started by Rakshit Shetty
- Indian Railways (IR) has recorded Monthly freight loading of 126.46 MT in April 2023. The incremental loading in the month of April has been 4.25 MT i.e. a growth of 3.5% over the April figures achieved in 2022. Freight revenue in April is Rs 13,893 Cr. as compared to Rs 13,011 in April 2022, a growth of 7%. Following the Mantra, “Hungry For Cargo”, IR has made sustained efforts to improve the ease of doing business as well as improve the service delivery at competitive prices which has resulted in new traffic coming to railways from both conventional and non-conventional commodity streams.
- Tungnath temple, the third of the five Panchkedars of Uttarakhand, will be declared a national monument. it is situated at an altitude of 12800 feet. Located in Rudraprayag district It is the only ancient ‘Shivalaya’ of its kind located at the highest point above sea level in Asia.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme/ Convention on Migratory Species (UNEP/CMS) had organized a meeting of Range Countries to strengthen conservation efforts for migratory birds and their habitats in the Central Asian Flyway (CAF) in New Delhi.
- The Arab League welcomed back Syria’s government, ending a more than decade-long suspension and securing President Bashar al-Assad’s return to the Arab fold after years of isolation. Arab League, also called League of Arab States (LAS) is a regional organization of Arab states in the Middle East and parts of Africa.
- Minister of State for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Shri Shantanu Thakur flagged off the vessel ‘M.V. MSS Galena’ from V.O. Chidambaranar Port, as the Direct Shipping Service between Tuticorin to Maldives.
- Karaikudi R. Mani, who dominated the Carnatic music world for more than half a century as a mridangam player and popularised the south Indian percussion instruments across the globe through his troupe Sruthilaya, passed away in Chennai. Mr. Mani and his troupe had collaborated with American singer Paul Simon and one could listen to his konnakol in the album Dazzling Blue.
- World smile day was celebrated on first Sunday of May month( 07 May 2023)
- World Red Cross Day 2023 observed on 8th May. The theme of World Red Cross Day for 2023 is “Everything we do comes from the heart.