Published on: March 24, 2023
Snippets:23 MARCH 2023
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) cleared a $3-billion Extended Fund Facility (EFF) for Sri Lanka, potentially unlocking more loans for the debt-ridden island nation that is struggling to recover from last year’s economic meltdown. Identifying corruption as a key issue, an IMF “governance diagnostic mission” has started assessing Sri Lanka’s governance and anti-corruption framework in its first such exercise in Asia.
- The INS Androth, second in a series of eight Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft, was launched in Kolkata. It was built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers. Propelled by three diesel-driven water jets, these ships can attain a maximum speed of 25 knots. Their primary role is to conduct anti-submarine operations in coastal waters, low intensity maritime operations and mine laying operations. These ships are also capable of full-scale sub surface surveillance of coastal waters and various surface platforms and coordinated ASW operations with aircraft.
- S. President Joe Biden will announce that he is designating two wilderness areas in Nevada and Texas as national monuments, as well as considering a new marine sanctuary in the Pacific.
- Indian hockey player Rani Rampal became the first woman in the sport to have a stadium named after her in Rae Bareli. MCF Rae Bareli has renamed the stadium as Rani’s Girls Hockey Turf.
- ‘City Finance Rankings, 2022’ portal goes live, MoHUA invites Urban Local Bodies to participate in the first of its kind initiative across the country can now participate in the Rankings through an entirely digital, 100% paperless, process.
- The Second G20 Sustainable Finance Working Group (SFWG) meeting under India’s G20 Presidency is set to take place in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- First Plenary Session of Civil 20 India 2023 Inception Conference on the theme ‘Balancing Development with Environment’ takes place.
- World Down Syndrome Day takes place every year on March 21. The Theme for World Down Syndrome Day 2023 is “With Us Not For Us”.
- INS Sujata, a ship based at Southern Naval Command, Kochi, visited Port Maputo, Mozambique as a part of Overseas Deployment.
- The International Day of Forests is celebrated on March 21 every year to highlight the importance and significance of forests and raise awareness about forest restoration. The theme for each year is chosen by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests and the theme is ‘Forests and health.‘