Published on: October 20, 2021
SNIPPPETS – 20 OCTOBER 2021
- Opposition is mounting against the proposed amendments to the Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980, with environmentalists and activists arguing that it will lead to further degradation of forests, especially in ecologically sensitive areas such as the Western Ghats. The amendment make it easier to divert forest for non-forest use, however the cause of concern was considering any private area as forest as it would restrict the right of an individual to use his/her own land for any non-forestry activity
- Election Commission of India halts the Dalit Bandhu scheme in Huzurabad Assembly constituency citing the October 30 byelection. Dalit Bandhu scheme is a flagship programme introduced by the government of Telangana. It is a welfare scheme that aims at empowering and promoting the welfare of Dalits in the state.
- Valmiki Jayanti celebrated. He is known as Adikavi , first Sanskrit poet & composed Ramayana
- Bhaskarabda to be added to official calendar of Assam. It is a calender Uses a lunisolar system based on moon phases, solar year.The era counted from the date of the ascension of a seventh century local ruler, will be added to Saka and Gregorian eras in the official calendar of the Assam Government. This era began when Bhaskaravarman was crowned ruler of the Kamrupa kingdom. He was a contemporary and political ally of northern Indian ruler Harshavardhana.
- India, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and the United States have decided to launch a new quadrilateral economic forum