Published on: December 10, 2021
SUMMIT FOR DEMOCRACY
U.S. President Joe Biden kicked off Summit for Democracy, calling on countries to make “concrete commitments” to reaffirm their democratic values.
- Held around three themes:
- Defending against authoritarianism,
- Fighting corruption,
- Promoting respect for human rights.
- Will gather together Heads of State, civil society, philanthropy, and the private sector.
- Seen as one way to counter growing Chinese influence.
- A second summit which will be in-person, will follow in 2022.