Published on: July 23, 2021
What is in news :Election Commission has a proposal to set up Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) Museum and Capacity Building Centre in Mysuru
What it offers :
- Knowledge on Sveep & other initiatives of Election commission
- Create awareness and educate people, especially voters in democracies, about democracy
- Importance of Voting
- Training and capacity building
Why was Mysuru Chosen :
- The tourist attraction capacity of the heritage city
- Highlight the legacy of Representative Assembly instituted by Chamarajendra Wadiyar X in 1881
- Mysuru-based Mysore Paints and Varnish Limited (MPVL) is the only manufacturer of indelible ink, used to mark the fingers of voters during elections.(established in 1937 by Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar)
What is SVEEP?
- Flagship program of the Election Commission of India
- Started in 2009
- Voter education, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India
Designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.