Published on: May 2, 2023
Why in news? Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs celebrated Swachhata Pakhwada from 16th to 30th April 2023.
- Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, the important flagship programme of the Government, initiated by the Prime Minister to fulfil the dream of Mahatma Gandhi to make a clean and hygienic India, Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs launched Swachhata Pakhwada during the second fortnight of April 2023. This was as per the Calendar of Swachhata Pakhwada for the year 2023 released by the Department of Drinking water and Sanitation.
- The Pakhwada commenced by administering of ‘Swachhata Pledge’ by Secretary, Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs
- Cleanliness drive was carried during the Swachhata Pakhwada, and reviewing/recording/weeding of old physical files were done by the employees of the Ministry.
- To keep the office place neat and clean, old obsolete items were identified for auction, cleaning of electrical switch boards/fans/AC and whitewashing in all rooms of the Ministry were got done.
- To spread awareness and importance of Swachhata in one’s life, Swachhata Pledge was administered to students in college/schools by organising special sitting of Youth Parliament.
- Swachhata Pakhwada 2023 concluded with prize distribution to top three sections of the Ministry who stood best on Swachhata Parameters during Pakhwada.
What is Swachhta Pakhwada?
- It was started in April 2016.
- It aims to bring a fortnight of intense focus on the issues and practices of Swachhta by engaging GOI Ministries/Departments in their jurisdictions.
- The Ministries observing Swachhata Pakhwada are monitored closely using the online monitoring system of Swachhata Samiksha where action plans, images, videos related to Swachhata activities are uploaded and shared.