Published on: July 23, 2021
What is in news : Unrelenting monsoon and fear of the pandemic have forced the BWSSB to push its deadline to complete the rejuvenation of the Thippagondanahalli (TG Halli) reservoir to March-April 2022.
- Original deadline – December 2021
- Second Covid has significantly slowed down the project work cited BWSSB(Labour scarcity)
ABOUT TG-HALLI RESERVOIR
- Located at the confluence of the Arkavathy and Kumudavathi rivers
- Also called as Charmrajsagar
- Man-made reservoir, created by the building of a dam which was inaugurated in 1933 Visvesvaraya supervised the construction work
- Used by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) as a major source of drinking water for western Bangalore
- Significance about rejenuvation : The project’s completion will allow BWSSB to pump 110 MLD water to western Bengaluru, but the reservoir will be fully operational only with the commissioning of the ambitious Yettinahole project by the Irrigation Department.