Published on: April 10, 2023
Tropospheric Emissions Monitoring of Pollution (TEMPO)
Why in news? A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket successfully launched from Florida, carrying a new NASA device that can track air pollution over North America.
- TEMPO – Tropospheric Emissions Monitoring of Pollution
- Instrument to monitor air pollutants and their emission sources from space more comprehensively than ever before, down to the neighbourhood level.
- Measure pollution and air quality across greater North America on an hourly basis during the daytime, all the way “from Puerto Rico up to the tar sands of Canada.”
- Size of a washing machine
- Described as a chemistry laboratory in space
- Hosted on an Intelsat communications satellite in geostationary orbit.
- Will be situated in a geostationary orbit 22,236 miles (35,786 kilometers)
- Match the rotation of the Earth, meaning it will stay over the same location North America at all times