What is in news : A campaign to include Tulu in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution was triggered in social media , after several politicians and language activists tweeted with the hashtag ‘#TuluTo8thSchedule’.
- Dravidian language
- Spoken mainly in two coastal districts Dakshina Kannada and Udupi of Karnataka and Kasaragod district of Kerala.
- Has a history of 2000 years.
Language and Constitution
- Article 29 – Section of citizens having a distinct language, script or culture have the right to conserve the same.
- Articles 344(1) , 351 & the Eighth Schedule – List of official languages of the Republic of India( 22 languages)
What happens when a language is added to eighth schedule
- Mandatory for the government to spare the efforts to develop the scheduled language so that it grows and evolves into an effective means of communication.
- Considered as an official language of the nation.
- Sahitya Academy will start recognizing the language and the books of the language will be translated in other languages recognized in India.
- MPs and MLAs can start converse in this language in state assemblies and parliament.
- Candidates will be able to write the competitive exams like Civil Services Exams conducted in the All India level in a scheduled language.