UN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL
What is the news : India was elected to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for 2022-2024 term.
- India has been selected in Asia-Pacific States category. Other elected countries include Oman, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan.
- Elected African countries are- Cote d’Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia, and United Republic of Tanzania.
- Among eastern European states Croatia and Czech Republic were elected.
- Belize, Peru and Chile are among elected Latin American and Caribbean states.
- In by-election of Economic and Social Council, New Zealand & Denmark were elected for January to December 2022 term while Israel was elected for January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2023.
What is ECOSOC:
ECOSOC is a 54-member Economic and Social Council, established in 1954 by a United Nations charter.
Functions of ECOSOC
- Being the heart of United Nations system, it helps in advancing economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- Central platform to foster debate & innovating thinking
- Shapes ways forward and coordinating efforts in a bid to achieve globally agreed goals
- Organises follow-up, major UN conferences and summits
- Promotion of high standards of living, full employment, economic & social progress, identifying solutions for global economic, social & health problems etc