Published on: July 10, 2021
UN RESOLUTION ON VISION
What is in news : The first-ever resolution on vision has been approved the United Nations general assembly.
What it relates to : Eye care
- The resolution named “Vision for Everyone” has been sponsored by Antigua, Bangladesh and Ireland, and co-sponsored by more than 100 countries.
- Member countries to institute a government approach towards eye care.
- Donors and financial institutions to provide financing for developing countries so that they can address the impact of loss of vision on social and economic development.
- Global eye care needs are going to increase substantially as by the year 2050 half of the global population is expected to be suffering from vision impairment.
- More than 90% of the 1.1 billion people globally who are suffering from loss of vision live in low or middle income group of countries.
- 55% of all blind people are girls and women.
- Better access to services related to eye care can increase the per capita household spending by around 88%.
- Better access to eye care related service is essential to achieve the goals of UN for the year 2030 of ending hunger and poverty, ensuring quality education and healthy living and reducing inequality.