Published on: August 6, 2021
http://bridgewaterfire.com/radio.php What is in news : India assumes presidency of UNSC for month of august
Puerto La Cruz About UNSC presidency :
- Held by each of the members in turn for one month, following the English alphabetical order of the Member States names- Delegation representing a state will be named President
- Rotates among the 15 member-states
- One of the organs of the United Nations and is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- Its powers include the establishment of peacekeeping operations, the establishment of international sanctions, and the authorization of military action through Security Council resolutions; it is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
- fifteen members.
- Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.
- These permanent members can veto any substantive Security Council resolution, including those on the admission of new member states or candidates for Secretary-General.
- The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms. The body’s presidency rotates monthly among its members.