Published on: June 4, 2023
Vascular Plants in Western Ghats
Why in news? New study discovers 62 desiccation-tolerant vascular plant species in India’s Western Ghats, with potential applications in agriculture & conservation.
What are Desiccation-tolerant vascular (DT) plants?
- Plants which
- Withstand extreme dehydration
- Revive with availability of water , even if they lose 95% of their water content
- Survive in harsh, arid environments that would be uninhabitable for most other plants
- Studied for their possible applications in agriculture, particularly in areas with limited water resources
- Predominant occupants of rock outcrops