Published on: January 21, 2023
Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP)
Why in news? Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) has taken a decision to close the , Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP) at Bhadravati in Shivamogga district
- VISP at Bhadravati in Shivamogga district, a symbol of early industrialisation of Karnataka with a history of 105 years, may be on its last legs
- In recent years, production came down, resulting in losses that resulted in closure of the plant
About Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant
- Public Sector Undertaking plant in the city of Bhadravathi.
- Plant was started as the Mysore Iron Works ,by Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar and his Diwan Sir M Visvesvaraya
- It is a unit of Steel Authority of India Limited, involved in the production of alloy steels and pig iron.
- The VISP was set up as Mysore Wood Distillation and Iron Works, the starting of steel production its name was changed to Mysore Iron & Steel Works
- As a tribute to its founder, the company was renamed Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant in 1976.
- It is also alleged that despite employing pollution treatment plants, the effluents discharged from the company is polluting the Bhadra river.