Published on: September 3, 2021
WORLD COCONUT DAY
When : September 2
What is in news : Coir Board organized a National Webinar on ‘Coconut to Coir Technologies’
- Aim – Create awareness across the globe about the usage of coconut and its myriad benefits.
- By – Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) celebrate the day with great enthusiasm.
- Intergovernmental organisation
- Established in 1969
- Under the aegis of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP)
- For the sustained development of the coconut sector.
Facts about Coconut
- Fruit of coconut palm (Cocos nucifera L).
- Probably originated somewhere in Indo-Malaya.
- Flesh is high in fat and can be eaten fresh or dried or processed into coconut milk or coconut oil.
- Liquid present in the nut of a coconut known as coconut water is also used in beverages.
- One coconut palm may yield 100 coconuts and every fruit requires a year to completely ripen.
Uses of Coconut
- Considered one of the simplest drinks to stay hydrated.
- Highly nutritious. Contain protein, several important minerals, and small amounts of B vitamins. It also contains manganese, which is important for bone health and in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and cholesterol.
- May benefit the health of the heart. In some studies, it has been found that people who live on Polynesian islands and regularly eat coconut may have lower rates of heart disease than those that follow a Western diet.
- May promote blood sugar control. Coconut is low in carbs and high in fiber and fat, and so, it may help stabilize blood sugar.
- Also contains powerful antioxidants.
- Said that it helps in weight loss also. It includes medium-chain fatty acids that not only help in weight loss but improve metabolism rate simultaneously