Published on: November 22, 2021
WORLD FISHERIES DAY
Winschoten World Fisheries Day is observed on the 21st November every year.
- Started in the year 1997 when “World Forum of Fish Harvesters & Fish Workers” met at New Delhi leading to formation of “World Fisheries Forum” with representatives from 18 countries and signed a declaration advocating for a global mandate of sustainable fishing practices and policies.
- Aim: To draw attention to overfishing, habitat destruction and other serious threats to the sustainability of marine and inland resources.
- Celebrations in India :
- Ministry of fisheries presented various awards
- Balasore, Odisha was awarded as the Best Marine District in the country.
- Andhra Pradesh was awarded the Best Marine State
- Best Inland State Award was given to Telangana.
- Balaghat in Madhya Pradesh received the Best Inland District award
- Best Hilly and Northeastern State and District awards were taken away by Tripura and Bongaigaon, Assam respectively.