World Migratory Bird Day
Why in news? World Migratory Bird Day is a global event held twice a year on the second Saturday of May and October. May 13, marks the celebration of World Migratory Bird Day in 2023.
• It brings together bird enthusiasts to promote the conservation of migratory birds and raise awareness about their significance.
• World Migratory Bird Day 2023 will focus on the topic of water and its importance for migratory birds. Theme: “Water: Sustaining Bird Life”.
• It is an annual global campaign that aims to raise awareness about the importance of migratory birds and their conservation.
• The campaign highlights the ecological importance of migratory birds, the threats they face, and the need to take action to protect them.
• Migratory birds play a vital role in maintaining the balance of nature and the functioning of ecosystems around the world. They also provide important cultural and economic benefits to many communities.
World Migratory Bird Day- History
• World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is a worldwide initiative launched in 2006 by the AEWA and CMS Secretariats.
• It originated from the International Migratory Bird Day (IMBD) in the United States and the Migratory Waterbird Days (MWD) in Africa, Europe, and parts of Asia.
• The first WMBD took place in Kenya in 2006 and has since been celebrated annually, gaining increasing popularity.
• The campaign is organized from Bonn, Germany, and in 2018, IMBD and WMBD merged under the unified name “World Migratory Bird Day” to strengthen global recognition and conservation efforts.