Ethics for Quality Life
Ethics is necessary for leading quality life. Discuss.
- Brief introduction- Define Ethics or happiness or what includes quality of life (20-30 words)
- Role of ethics in Individuals life (100-120 words)
- Social life
- Professional life
- Personal life etc
- Give some examples
And how it helps in achieving the quality life as you have defined in the introduction
- Conclusion- how to achieve it (20-30 words)
Aristotle defines human happiness (which can only be sought via virtuous means) as being different from sensuous pleasures (which he describes as what we know now are vices. Our function as human beings, he says, is not to pursue pleasures such as sex, money or animal desires, but instead to pursue virtues such as knowledge, courage, and temperance.
Happiness is the end goal of life and determines the quality of your life. Virtuous behavior contributes to moral excellence. Moral excellence can contribute to a happy life.
Thus, being a moral person is essential to living a life of happiness. A person achieves happiness by possessing the dispositions (i.e., tendencies) to make the right choice at the right time in the right way.
Morality applies to one’s personal beliefs and choices in life. Ethics is a set of rules that contribute to leading a moral life. We can view ethical behavior as a pathway to achieve a moral life; which leads to a quality life.
Ethics can be loosely defined as a set of values that contribute to the betterment of one’s life – i.e., honesty, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, and being a person of integrity. Ethics if often thought of as a set of principles to guide one’s actions and behaviors. Application of those principles in our daily life should lead to happiness.
- Quality of life means a happy life
- The pursuit of happiness is a worthwhile goal.
- Knowledge, judgment and wisdom are essential ingredients in making the right choices in life and lead to happiness.
- To be truly happy, people should act from a “moral point of view”.
- Each of us possesses the necessary courage to withstand pressure to deviate from the right path.
- What is right and what is wrong is not limited to a set of general rules of behavior but, more so, to developing the traits of character (i.e. virtues) that lead to a life of excellence.
Example of Professional life- How being ethical not just enhances self happiness but also that of the organisations efficiency.
In today's changing world it is necessary to be professionally competent to address the evolving demand of work life however it is also important to remain ethical because:
- To work for the welfare of people selflessly.
- To handle instances of conflict of interest and ethical dilemmas in a professional manner.
- To ensure highest standards of probity, integrity, honesty in public and private sphere while maintaining efficiency in service delivery.
- Work as a role model for others
- Ethical behaviour promotes better work culture and reduce conflicts at workplace.
- For effective service delivery it's important to have trustworthiness and responsivity.