Persuasion – Value
Persuasion – Value
What is persuasion? Is Persuasion value neutral? Discuss.
- What is persuasion
- Write how persuasion is not value neutral ie it can be good or bad depending on various factors
ContentGenerally, persuasion is defined as communicative activities that are mediated. Any message that is aimed to shape, reinforce or change the perceptions, emotions, beliefs, behavioural intentions and behaviours is to be considered as persuasive communication
- In management literature, persuasion is the process of changing or reinforcing attitudes, beliefs or behaviour of a person. People respond to persuasive messages in two ways: thoughtfully and When people are in thoughtful mode, the persuasiveness of the message is determined by merits of the message. When people respond to messages mindlessly, their brains are locked on automatic. Persuasion is mainly dependent upon the attractiveness of the speakers and reaction of the listeners. Persuasion is exclusively related with communication, learning, awareness and thought.
- Persuasion is not value neutral. If is done with wrong intent, then it is immoral and it is The difference between persuasion and manipulation lies largely in underlying intent and desire to create genuine benefit.
The value of persuasion lies in:
- The intent behind your desire to persuade that person,
- The truthfulness and transparency of the process, and
- The net benefit or impact on that person
- Demonstrate a strong bias towards their lack of benefit in the exchange,
- Demonstrate an ulterior motive for the attempt at persuasion, often driven by one-sided benefit, or
- Some combination of
- Healthy Parent-Child relationship: Often ethical persuasion a means that parents adopt to imbibe habits in younger And it generally works more efficiently.
- Breaking unhealthy habits: Ethical persuasion has been an important means to persuade individual to give up vices like drinking alcohol, smoking,
- Public Policies: Ethical persuasion has been a strong used to convince people to comply/adopt measures espoused by certain public policy Swachh Bharat Abhiyan campaign and Give It Up for LPG subsidy.
- Efficient administration: It become vital for an administrator to persuade his subordinates to be align them with his vision of public service and ask them to be adopt high moral standards in their work-ethics. Moral Persuasion plays a vital