Published on: October 25, 2021
SNIPPPETS – 25 OCTOBER 2021
- An acute shortage of di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) in Haryana has seen desperate farmers pelting stones at the police, blocking roads in protest, and even resorting to “loot” the fertilizer from a private dealer’s outlet in Mahendragarh district of south Haryana.DAP so important is Basic nutrient for Rabi crops which has to be sprinkled at the time of sowing crops like mustard and wheat.
- Kerala wins award for city with most sustainable transport system.The award has been given in recognition of the projects implemented — like Kochi Metro, Water Metro and e-mobility — to enhance the transport facilities in the city of Kochi. The formation of the Kochi Open Mobility Network, which digitized and integrated various transport facilities, helped to win the award which is given in recognition of the transport facilities in various states and Union Territories of India by Union Ministry for Housing and Urban Affairs. Kochi Open Mobility Network is a initiative of the Kochi Metropolitan Transport Authority to support the local community in Kochi.
- The Gujarat High Court has reprimanded the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) and the Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) for the pollution on the Sabarmati riverfront.
- Hurricane Rick to hit Coast of Mexico. The US National Hurricane Centre said Rick had winds as high as 85 miles per hour (140 kph) and was expected to hit somewhere around the seaport of Lazaro Cardenas and the resort of Zihuatanejo. Hurricanes are large, swirling storms that produce winds of 119 kilometers per hour (74 mph) or higher that form over warm ocean waters.
- The Prime Minister has paid tributes to cartoonist RK Laxman on his 100th birth anniversary
- Journalist Maria Ressa from the Philippines is one of two journalists to have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2021, along with Russian Editor Dmitry Muratov. Ms. Ressa, who is the author of upcoming book How to Stand Up to a Dictator speaks about her battles with the Philippines Government and ‘Big Tech’ social media companies. It is not since 1935 that the Nobel Peace Prize went to a journalist. Carl Von Ossietzky, who wrote about the Nazi regime and Germany’s remilitarisation plan, won that year.
- Teleindia Networks unveiled its greenfield hyperscale data centre — DataSamudra — in Bengaluru in line with the growing market demand and to offer value differentiation in data centre market.