Published on: November 24, 2021
Santo André NEWS
Dampit The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved deal for the manufacture of 6.71 lakh AK-203 assault rifles in India
ABOUT AK-203 ASSAULT RIFLES
- Built in cooperation of Russia
- Considered to be the latest and most advanced version of the AK-47 rifle.
- Expected to replace the Indian Small Arms System (INSAS) 5.56×45 mm assault rifle, that are presently being used by Army, Navy and the Air Force besides other security forces.
- Advanced version of AK-47 and its magazine can hold 30 bullets.
ABOUT DEFENCE ACQUISITION COUNCIL
- Formed after the Group of Ministers recommendations on ‘Reforming the National Security System’, in 2001, post Kargil War (1999).
- Highest decision-making body in the Defence Ministry for deciding on new policies and capital acquisitions for the three services (Army, Navy and Air Force) and the Indian Coast Guard.
- Chairman – The Minister of Defence
- Objective – ensure expeditious procurement of the approved requirements of the Armed Forces in terms of capabilities sought, and time frame prescribed, by optimally utilizing the allocated budgetary resources.