Published on: September 25, 2023
All-women panel of Vice-Chairpersons in Rajya Sabha
Why in news? Vice-President & Chairman Rajya Sabha, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, reconstituted the all-women panel of Vice-Chairpersons in Rajya Sabha
- The panel of Vice-Chairpersons was constituted comprising 13 women RS Members in Rajya Sabha discusses the Nari Shakti Vandan Vidheyak bill, 2023 only for a day.
- The panel included P. T. Usha, Jaya Bachchan, Saroj Pandey, Dola Sen, Sulata Deo and Dr. Fauzia Khan.
About panel of Vice-Chairpersons
- Under the Rules of Rajya Sabha, the Chairman nominates from amongst the members a panel of vice-chairpersons for the period of one year.
- In his absence, the duties of the Chairman are performed by the Deputy -Chairman.
- In case neither the Chairman nor the Deputy Chairman is available, then the function of the Chairman is performed by one of the members of the panel of Vice-Chairpersons.
- Member has the same powers as the Chairman during presiding the house and holds the office until new panel of vice-chairpersons is nominated.
- In the absence of a member from the panel of vice chairpersons, the House designates any other individual to serve as the Chairman.
- In case if there is a vacant Chairman or Deputy Chairman position, a member of the panel of vice chairpersons is not eligible to preside over the House.