Published on: August 8, 2023
Amrit Bharat Station scheme
Why in news? Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Amrit Bharata station scheme across 508 railway stations in the country, out of which 13 stations are listed in Karnataka.
About the scheme
- It was introduced by Ministry of Railways
- Goal: development of stations on a continuous basis with a long term vision
- Focus: creating Master Plan and implementing them as per the needs and patronage of the station.
- Aim: to transform stations into vibrant centers by creating Roof Plazas and city areas over time. It includes improving the station premises by adding well-organized parking spaces, clear signs, better lighting, and removing unnecessary structures. Pedestrian pathways will be dedicated, and roads might be widened for convenience..
Scope of work under Amrit Bharat station scheme includes :-
- Platforms: High level platforms will be provided at all categories of the railway stations. The special emphasis will be given on the drainage facility of the platform area.
- Wi-Fi/ Internet: it includes the provision to provide free WiFi access to its users. The plan also includes the suitable spaces for 5G towers.
- Multi-design furniture: The scheme includes the elimination of multi-design furniture in a phased manner. It includes waiting rooms, platforms, retiring rooms, offices
- Amenities for Divyangjan: The amenities for Divyangjan at the railway stations as per the norms and regulations issued by the Railway Board. Sufficient number of toilets shall be provided at all categories of stations for the Divyangjan with easily visible, accessible, and appropriate to station usage.